Latter Day Revelation
The revelation now known as the Word of Wisdom was given through Joseph Smith, Jr., to a conference of high priests assembled at Kirtland, Ohio, February 27, 1833. It was described as "A word of wisdom for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church; and also, the Saints in Zion. To be sent greeting, not by commandment, or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom; showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all Saints in the last days. Given for a principle, with promise; adapted to the capacity of the weak, and the weakest of all Saints, who are or can be called Saints."
This revelation commences, saying that "in consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation..."
Science now validates much of what Joseph brought forth in 1833. To encourage those wishing to act on this guidance, making changes that will bring them increasingly into compliance, we offer here some supportive resources. Other recommendations may be emailed to the webmaster.
Here are a few testimonies to whet your appetite:
- The Mountain of the Lord's House by Roy Weldon
- God's Warning to the Saints of the Latter Days by Antonio R. Vestor
If you have testimonies about how honoring the Word of Wisdom has blessed your life, we encourage you to submit them to our magazine, The Latter Day Saints' Beacon for publication.
Choosing to embrace what Joseph Smith revealed often leads people to stretch beyond what was specifically stated in Doctrine & Covenants Section 86 (LDS Section 89), for instance choosing to remove soda pop from their diet or give up meat altogether. However you choose to interpret this revelation, wherever you are on the journey to embrace the "order and will of God in the matter of your temporal salvation," the important thing is to begin - to try. Remember: Desire + Will (willpower) = Action (works).
Books and Recipes
- "Fit for the Kingdom" by Kim (Augenstein) White; contact Kim at (816) 796-3949 (USA)
- Forks Over Knives (DVD) with T. Colin Campbell and Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr.
- The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet,Weight-Loss, and Long-Term Health (Book) by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell, II
- The Vegetarian Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity with Vegetables, Fruits, Grains, Legumes, Nuts, Seeds and More (Book) by Karen Page
- The Word of Wisdom by Mildred Nelson Smith; contact H. Alan Smith at (816) 912-1829 (USA)
- The Word of Wisdom - God's Nutritional Plan by Barbara Smith Wilkinson; see http://rldsbooks.blogspot.com or contact Paul Ludy at (816) 210-8450 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thought for Food by Myrva Bird and Karen Powell; see http://rldsbooks.blogspot.com or contact Paul Ludy at (816) 210-8450 or email@example.com
- WOW Cookery by Blue Valley Stake Women; see http://newbookman.blogspot.com or contact Paul Ludy at (816) 210-8450 or firstname.lastname@example.org